Over sixty seven (67) households were destroyed with over 368 people affected by fire in Kitobo fishing village, mazinga sub-county, Kyamuswa constancy, Kalangalala District. The disaster happened between1:00 am and 2:30am in the morning of 28th September 2014. The fire was caused by a drunkard who threw a cigarette filter close to the fuel on his way back to his house that was in the center of several houses.
The Branch response team of 13 members led by the Branch manager with support from the Marine Offer in Charge from Kalangalala police station went to make an assessment. The team discovered that the fire was started by a cigarette filter that had fire which was thrown near fuel accidentally and the petrol caught fire. Over 67 households were destroyed completely. Nine (9) people 5 women, 2 men, and 2 kids sustained injuries as they were trying to rescue their house hold properties, but the community was able to assist them and took them to the nearby clinic.
The rain made it hard for the people who were affected by the fire with no place to go. The affected people were affected further by the thugs who kept on stilling whatever they had kept from their burnt houses.
On 15th January the Branch through consultation and guidance from the Disaster Management Directorate had supported the victims with non-food items. These included 134 Jerry cans, 67 Tarpaulins, 134 Blankets, 201 bars of soap, 335 plates, 335 cups, 134 mosquito nets and 134 cooking pots. This is part of the 150 Non-Food Item kits that were prepositioned in the Branch by the directorate.
A relief distribution team that was led by Kalangalala Branch Governing Board vice chairperson, the District chairperson Kalangalala, Branch manager, Kalangalala disaster team, area councilors, district youth chairperson and Branch volunteers commenced thereafter. The items were distributed on Wednesday 15th October 2014.This delay was caused by the breakdown in communication between Branch and headquarters, inaccessibility to fuel in the district and the lake was too rough for the team to go through it due to a very unstable lake in October.